Annual Honey Show
Driffield Show Ground, YO25 9DN
July 19th 2017
Judge: Mr Tony Jefferson
Show Secretary: Mrs. Gillian Thatcher
Sedgefield, Riverside, Driffield, YO25 6PA.
01377 240111; email: email@example.com
There are a total of 14 classes including honey, wax, candles, cookery, photography and open classes for hive related items and crafts. Honey and wax exhibited must be the bona fide produce of the exhibitor’s own bees although cakes and confectionary can be made with any honey and does not need to be honey produced by the exhibitor’s own bees.
You can download the Schedule here: 2017 Honey Show Schedule
And the Entry Form here: 2017 Honey Show Entry Form
Entry fee is £1 per entry. Entry of 8 exhibits or more will merit one adult pass into the Driffield Show.
As well as 7 trophies, Prize monies are 1st £5, 2nd £3 and 3rd £1.
- TWO MATCHING JARS of LIGHT HONEY.
- TWO MATCHING JARS of MEDIUM or DARK HONEY.
- TWO MATCHING JARS OF NATURALLY GRANULATED or SOFT SET HONEY.
- ONE JAR of HONEY, PRODUCED BY A NOVICE. Novice exhibitors must not have won a first prize in any class at the Beverley Honey Show.
- ONE JAR OF HONEY. The exhibit will be judged on taste and flavour only.
- TWO MATCHING JARS of HEATHER or HEATHER BLEND HONEY.
- TWO MATCHING JARS of HONEY as ‘For Sale’ displaying the exhibitors honey label.
- ONE SHALLOW or DEEP COMB of HONEY FOR EXTRACTION. Heather or flower.
- TWO BEESWAX CANDLES matching in all respects. The candles to be displayed erect. They may be lit by the judge at his / her discretion.
- ONE BOTTLE of MEAD sweet or dry.
- TWO HONEY / WAX RELATED PRODUCTS e.g. polish, soap, hand cream or the like in containers labelled with the ingredients. Non-Edible Only.
CAKES AND CONFECTIONARY
Exhibits in Classes 12 and 13 to be displayed on paper plates in clear plastic bags.
Cakes and Confectionary may be made with any honey and does not need to be honey produced by the exhibitor’s own bees.
12. SULTANA & CHERRY HONEY CAKE. Made in accordance with the recipe below.
Cream 115g butter and 225g honey together. Beat 2 medium eggs and add alternately with 225g of SR flour. Add 115g sultanas, 60g halved glacé cherries, 1 teaspoon lemon zest and 3 tablespoons of whole milk. Beat in well and lightly.
Bake in lined 165 – 190mm deep round tin until cooked.
For guidance only – moderate oven for 60 – 90 minutes.
13. HONEY CONFECTIONARY made to exhibitor’s own recipe – scones, etc.
A minimum of two pieces from the same recipe, total entry not to exceed 454g using honey as the main sweetener.
Recipe to be displayed with the entry.
All exhibits must have been taken but not necessarily processed, by the entrant.
14. A PHOTOGRAPH on a theme connected with honey bees or beekeeping.
Not larger than 297 x 210mm (A4). Mounted or unmounted, black and white or colour.
The Silver Challenge Rose Bowl – to the BBKA member who gains the most points in all classes
The Challenge Rose Bowl– will be awarded to the BBKA member who is the runner up
The Elliot Trophy – awarded to the BBKA member who wins class 1
The Tyes Trophy – awarded to the BBKA member who wins class 3
The F.M. Kendrew Memorial Rose Bowl–awarded to the BBKA member who wins the gift class
A Perpetual Silver Plate with Medal – awarded to the exhibitor with the most points in all classes
The Coulson Cup – awarded to the BBKA member who wins class 14